Shir Tikvah Congregation
May 15, 2022
Shir Tikvah, a joyful, pluralistic, progressive Jewish congregation based in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, seeks a new Executive Director. Working in deep partnership with Shir Tikvah’s clergy, professional staff and congregants, the Executive Director plays a critical role in ensuring Shir Tikvah continues to invigorate Jewish spiritual life and transform the world.
Who We Are
Shir Tikvah— Song of Hope—is a kehillah kedosha (holy community) joyfully revealing the intersections of talmud torah (lifelong Torah study), t’filah (prayer), tzedakah (justice), & hachnasat orchim (radical hospitality). Our 550 families creatively wrestle with tradition and innovation as we invigorate Jewish spiritual life and transform the world. We believe deeply that our diversity is our strength, welcoming, nurturing, and celebrating our diversity in identity, gender, race, ability, and familial structure. We strive to co-create a vibrant, holy community where people are truly welcomed and belong.
As a congregation, we are committed to expanding and deepening our racial justice work, both internally and externally; engaging our members deeply in the leadership of our congregation; growing our spiritual lives; and expanding our understanding and engagement with Torah.
You can read more about Shir Tikvah’s vision, purpose, and spiritual work here: www.shirtikvahmn.org.
Shir Tikvah is at a pivotal point in its growth and development. At a time when many religious institutions are shrinking, we have grown significantly over the past decade. In pre-pandemic times, this growth raised questions about the viability of our current facilities – questions we will likely be wrestling with again in the near future. In our 34th year as a congregation, in addition to this change in executive staff leadership, we have also recently transitioned to new rabbinic leadership. This moment presents great opportunities to build on our solid foundations, while also continuing to grow and evolve into the future.
In short, we seek executive staff leadership that can ensure smooth day-to-day operations of our congregation today, while also helping guide this holy community into the next phase of its existence.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, Shir Tikvah’s Executive Director is responsible for:
- Partnering with clergy — especially the Lead Rabbi — and Board of Trustees, to ensure our systems, finances and operations are fully aligned and supporting the strategic and spiritual direction of the community;
- Raising the resources we need to effectively live out our mission, developing and executing strategic plans for growing our annual fund as well as special opportunities, including grant writing and likely stewarding an upcoming capital campaign;
- Driving a strategic communications plan and operation to ensure we are deeply engaging our congregants and external stakeholders and telling our story in compelling ways;
- Managing our finances to ensure our budget aligns with our values and priorities and that our financial health continues to be strong;
- Ensuring our physical space meets the spiritual, programmatic and operational needs of the community, including systems and processes related to safety and security;
- Ensuring modern and effective systems for operations and administration, allowing our clergy and professional staff to do their jobs well, and;
- Supervising professional staff, including those in finance, operations and administration.
Experience and Qualifications Requirements:
Who You Are
A strong candidate for the position of Shir Tikvah’s Executive Director will bring a:
- History of successful organizational management, with proven skills in effectively managing programs, systems and budgets and people;
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead diverse, high-performing teams with a management approach that centers equity, sustainability and results;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead multi-channel fundraising efforts – planning, managing principals and directly soliciting support for core annual support and major gifts;
- Strong set of communications skills, both verbal and written;
- Familiarity with community-based, and/or membership organizations, including membership recruitment and stewardship;
- Capacity and desire to work in deep collaboration with other stakeholders, including the Lead Rabbi, clergy, professional staff, the Board of Directors, and the committees and volunteers who make our work possible, and;
- Belief that no job is too small, even (and especially) for an executive leader, recognizing that our team is of modest size and that everyone steps up in a myriad of ways to get the work done.
Success in this position depends on flexibility, empathy, diplomacy, a high level of comfort working with the public, valuing innovation and active community engagement, and a commitment to learn about Jewish practices, culture, holidays, and special events. A good grasp of systems and information technology are a plus.
What Else You Need to Know
This is a full-time position, based in Minneapolis, offering a salary of $90,000-$100,000 and a competitive benefits package.
The position reports to the Board of Directors, who are committed to robust onboarding, professional development, and ongoing support to ensure a smooth transition and successful tenure for the new Executive Director.
Shir Tikvah Congregation is an equal-opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates to join our multiracial, multifaith, multigender team. People of color, women, and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply please send your résumé and a cover letter with the subject line of: “Executive Director Search” to the Board’s Hiring Committee ℅ [email protected]. In your cover letter, please share what interests you most about this role at Shir Tikvah, how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for it, and how you imagine contributing to the mission of our congregation.
Candidates will be screened on a rolling basis, with a priority application deadline of May 15, 2022.